Writing scary it's bad. Wait...

5/10/2007

Crunch Time

I've found myself in quite the quandary. It's ten-thirty and I just finished working out. Now, that might not seem too late to you night owls, but for a guy who gets up at 6 every morning it might as well be the next morning. In college I would stay up till 1, 2, maybe 3 in the AM without blinking an eye - mostly cause I'd just pass out at my desk. But I didn't have to worry because I'd sleep in till noon the next day, regardless of whether I had classes or not. Sure, I missed a couple tests but I honed my "bullshitting my way out of trouble" skills in the process. Supposedly I'm an "adult" now, and as such I'm expected to make a contribution to the working world. In other words, I'm screwed for the rest of my life.

It wouldn't be a big deal if working out was the last thing I wanted to do today, but it's not. There are still things I'd like accomplish which I enjoy but don't necessarily feel an obligation to. And really, aren't those the things that give us the most satisfaction? Aren't they what keeps us going? Like writing, reading, (arithmetic, just kidding) playing music, ect. The only viable solution I can think of is to make days 36 hours long and readily distribute speed to the general populous. Exacerbating the problem, work is ramping up to some unforeseen climax set to crescendo circa late June. I'm already standing in the doorway watching the whirlwind as it approaches from the West. I'm not sure I'll make it to shelter in time before getting sucked into it. Might as well make a run for it and leave my fate up to the gods.

At least I had a little time to finish this poorly penned diatribe.

And now for a couple random facts:

- I signed up for the Marine Corp Marathon on Wednesday making it official that I'm actually going to do it. All the training thus far is, at least for now, not in vain. Hopefully, I can keep it up and continue to improve. My side goal is to qualify for the Boston. If I do, I'll definitely run it, although the thought of driving up there is a convincing deterrent. There is no drive more horrifying in the continental US than traveling 95 north from Baltimore to Boston. The Turnpike, the GW bridge through New York, the Big Dig, anywhere in Conneticut, they're all terrifying. Is the big dig still going on or have they finished that monstrosity? I'd brave it all for the honor of running in the most famous footrace in America. Hell, I'd even make the trip Oregon Trail style. I just hope Kristen doesn't come down with typhoid fever and die during a river fording. Killing all those four pixel rabbits and eight pixel bears sure is fun.

- I took off every Friday, starting in June, for the three summer months. It was tentatively approved but I'm not holding my breathe waiting for it to come to fruition. If I actually get to take half of them I'll be satisfied. Just thinking about all those days off give me a hard on like you wouldn't believe.

- I'm not a big fan of ER. Back in the day, I watched religiously. It's one of the only medical dramas to actually portray the comings and going of a hospital in a semi-truthful light. However, I think they really need to wrap up the series. ER been going what, nine or ten years, maybe more. The writers, it seems, have straight up run out of ideas. The well has run dry my friends. Having a character stumble out of a bar into the road and get hit by a truck is about as original as an episode of Scooby Doo (I'm not ripping on Scooby here. I love Scooby, but ever show is basically the same plot. Considering it's a cartoon, I never had a problem with that). Come on guys, I know you can do better than that. You get paid to write this stuff but a blind kid could have seen that coming from a mile away. I love the classics, but that was just not a very bright idea. There's no such thing as vintage in TV series writing, there are only cop outs. If you pick it up and put out a little effort, maybe I'll give you a scooby snack. Ok?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

1. You'd die of dysentery before I died of typhoid fever.

2. I dislike ER today because John Stamos is meant to be Uncle Jesse, and Uncle Jesse only.

11:24 AM

 
Blogger Calitri said...

Response:
1. Actually, that's not true. I'm always the head of the family, which means that everyone else dies before I do.

2. John Stamos was never meant to play anyone. He's a douche. However, if we have to consider him an actor and give him work, I agree that he should only be allowed to play Uncle Jesse.

12:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home