Writing scary it's bad. Wait...

2/03/2009

Training Begins 2009

It's the start of another training season, which means only one thing - it's time to map out the goals for the year I'll probably never achieve. How's that for positive for you?

Anyhow, last year I finished a marathon, a half marathon and a ten miler but got disappointed when I couldn't run the second marathon because of a cold. There's 50 bucks I'll never see again. I didn't set any records but did achieve some personal best in the half and 10 mile because I hadn't run either before. So, I guess I set a baseline last year and now it's time to go out and improve on past results.

I'm cutting back the total length of competition runs this year by switching up the spring full for a half. Spring fulls just suck to train for and I'm not doing another one unless it's the Boston. The halves will be Frederick and Philly (probably), the 10 mile will be Annapolis and Baltimore, since I missed out last year, will be the full in the fall. So, with those races in mind here are my goals:

1. Run 10 miles in under 60 minutes, and furthermore, 13.3 miles in under 1 hour, 20 minutes. I would say I'm going for a sub 3 hour marathon, but if you realized how much time and effort it takes to get that level you'd understand why I'm not going there.

2. However, I do intend to better my previous best marathon time of 3:37:37. This one I am going to accomplish, damn it! It's been too long.

3. Improve strength and flexibility. Of course, that means more stretching and strength training along with rehab for my knee and IT band. Every year I battle an injury at some point during training and this year I'm going to work my ass off to ensure it doesn't happen again.

4. Continue to lift and work it into my training regiment. I gained almost 10 pounds of muscle over the break, along with 5 pounds of fat, thanks to the Bowflex. I need to keep thing going on the muscle end to become a better, more complete runner and athlete.

5. Get my diet under control. To drop the weight I put on over the break, I'm going to have to drop down to 1,100 to 1,300 calories a day. Not to mention, those calories have represent the right foods to replenish and refuel my body. Eating right is always a battle, but it's something I'm going to have to do.

There, I put them in writing. Now I have to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home