Writing scary it's bad. Wait...

1/24/2008

January 24th

Scheduled Miles: 4
Miles Ran: 3.85
Total Time: 0:26:03
Current Weight: 174.5 (I consider this a minor miracle because the food in New York was exceptional and I ate an exceptionally large amount of it)
Current Condition: Rested

Much like everything else in life, speed week hasn't quite worked out as planned. I had a schedule, a plan, an idea and then NYC had to butt its way into the middle of the week and complete throw everything askew. So now I'm left picking up the pieces like a deep sea diver trying to salvage the wreckage.

But don't let me snow you, as pissed as I am about how the week has gone, I'm equal glad I got to visit New York. Hell, half the reason my training schedule went to fucked-up town was, in fact, because I got so fucked up in New York. Righteously fucked up. The kind of fucked up that takes a full days living out of your bed to get over. It was great, glorious and beyond fun for a one day work trip. Gin and tonics have never treated me so bad or made me feel so right. A recap is 1) not what I do here, and 2) completely impossible considering I can't name half the places I went on Tuesday night. Therefore, I propose we leave it alone and move on to the present.

Back to running. At least that was the theme I was trying to convince myself of tonight. And I guess it worked - I ran. Things really weren't that bad to be honest. I thought after a sloth-of-the-seven-deadly-sins-variety three day layoff it would take some work to get back into the swing of things. Luckily, the gods seemed to have taken pity on me and granted me at least some level of my former athleticism.

I did accomplish one feat tonight that was sorely needed - I ran a mile under 6 minutes. The first mile to be more specific, but first, last, who's counting? The point is that it needed to be done and I needed to hold a good pace after doing it. It's not like they give you prize for breaking the 6 minute mark then heading to the sidewalk to sit with all the rest of the spectators. I can't lie, it's fucking fast. Ridiculously fast even. And speaking of ridiculously fast, I also topped out a new maximum speed of 11.2 mph. Now mind you, that's down hill, with the wind and I only held it for about a half mile. Though I could never hold that pace on a flat to keep up with an Olympic caliber runner, at least I know I could run - no sprinting allowed - with him on a downgrade long enough to shove a stick between his legs. Those guys really are incomprehensibly amazing. The more I run the greater respect I have for people pulling 2:20's.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home