Writing scary it's bad. Wait...

10/18/2006

Air Guitar

I finally got back to playing guitar last night and it felt really good. I had forgotten how much I missed it. I originally stopped playing two months ago for a couple of reasons. One, I think I broke the pinky knuckle on my left hand playing flag football over the summer. I can’t prove that it’s broken because I never went to the doctor or hospital to get it checked out but it still hurts to this day and there’s a bone chip you can see under the skin, so I’m confident in my diagnosis. I’m right handed and I play with my left hand operating the fret board so the injury definitely made it difficult to play. I could feel it every once in while last night, but not enough to affect things. Two, I’m taking a class that meets for three hours at night, two days a week. Needless to say, it didn’t leave me with a lot of free time, so something had to be put by the wayside.

I remember playing in our high school band, “Beyond Recognition”. We had so much fun annoying my friend’s parents by practicing in the basement or his garage. Luckily for us, his dad played guitar and was a rocker at heart so he didn’t mind. Half the time you’d walk into his house and his dad would be downstairs with the amp cranked, belting out classic rock tunes or some lick of his own. He would have the volume up on that thing way past where we would ever venture to go. The whole house shook when he played but he was damn good. He owned the guitar of my dreams. An original red 1965 Gibson SG. The pickups alone are worth thousands of dollars. It is quite an impressive instrument. I pitch a tent every time I think about it. Our bands resume boasted a total of three concerts but it was more about hanging out and having a good time. Plus, the chicks were great.

I always think about starting a band up again but most of my friends who play or played instruments don’t live around me or we fell out of touch. I could probably practice a ton and try to join a band but a) I don’t have a ton of time to practice and b) I’ve never really been that good anyway. It’d be fun to find a couple people to jam with though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home