Writing scary it's bad. Wait...

11/07/2006

He's All That

I feel bad even making this comparison because it's stupid but I thought it up last night. It is kind of relevant and somewhat describes how I feel. That's a rousing endorsement isn't it? Anyway, I couldn’t help but draw comparisons between me doing this writing thing, the novel not the blog, and the movie "She's all that" starring none other than your favorite, Freddie Prince Jr. Of course, I'm playing the part of Freddie, or should I say, Zach Siler. You know, the good looking jock turned sensitive art school dude. On more than one occasion I've been told I look like Freddie, actually. I was never sure if that was a compliment or not, but they were my friends; they wouldn't say anything insulting to me, would they? Truthfully, I think it's just the white boy with dark hair that throws people off. I personally don't think I look anything like Freddie, but you can't argue with the masses. As for the sensitivity part of the story, you can for forget about that. I know I don't have it in me. You can also throw out the chasing after a girl theme, as I've chased, caught and am now running away (just kidding lady flash). This really is a sweet analogy isn't it? The story line I want to concentrate on is the jock guy being thrown into the art world. I don't think my situation is quite as extreme as Zach’s; he looked like deer in headlight on the stage at the theatrical performance. "Gotta keep it up Zach...Can't let it drop...Never...Let...It...Drop, sometimes you've gotta let it drop". Damn, that was profound! Shit, bitch, put that in your pipe and smoke it!


I've always done something artistic; guitar, piano, trumpet (never played in marching band in case you were wondering, nothing against the marching band kids), I've always been able to draw well but have no creative sense, I even was the lead role in the fifth grade play about Christopher Columbus (Jimmy, if you're out there, call my agent again and see if he's heard anything about those call backs. Did he tell them I was LEAD in the elementary school play? Damn!). This whole semi-serious public writing thing has me a little uneasy. Couldn't tell you why, I just feel out of my element. Just like Zach, I'm pushing back the proverbial borders of the comfort zone. It's something I haven't done in a long time. To be honest, I don't think I've truly done any pushing, not just stretching or poking but actual deformation and expansion, since I stepped on stage in the gymnasium of the local Catholic Church with three of my friend for first concert of our high school band career.

It feels good to get back to pushing though and I know that as disconcerting as this whole process is, it'll be worth it in the end. Instead of getting the girl, I'll get piece of mind, which lasts longer. Come on, you all know that as soon as they got to college, she dumped his ass and shacked up some senior who had a house off campus and access to copious amounts of pot and mushrooms.

Just to throw this in there, I'm much better at soccer than Zach or Freddie and welcome a one on one challenge from either of them anytime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home